Saturday, September 19, 2009


DEVOTED HUSBAND,
BROTHER, UNCLE


WINE GENIUS


JAZZ MAVEN


LAKER FANATIC


SMOOTH DANCER


SHARP DRESSER


CRITICAL THINKER


WONDERFUL FRIEND







Chip died Saturday, September 5th, 2009, at his home in Sherman Oaks, CA, in hospice, with his wife Natasha at his bedside.

He was diagnosed with stomach cancer last October and he battled it with determination, courage, and humor to the end.

Those who knew Chip, knew a man of keen intelligence, warmth, quick wit, and passion for a wide array of interests and friends. He possessed an encyclopedic knowledge of jazz; was an avid, if not obsessive, fan of the LA Lakers - he actually understood the triangle offense and would gladly explain it if you had an extra hour or two.

He had a degree in Theater from the Goodman School in Chicago, acted on stage and television, wrote and co-wrote screenplays and plays for the stage.

Chip was a wine savant. What started as a survival job to pay the bills between acting gigs became an avocation, a passion, and finally, a career; one he excelled in. He had an educated, exquisite palette; a thorough knowledge of wine, wine making, and the industry, and was generous with that knowledge to colleagues and laymen alike. It is a world he relished and it rewarded him in turn.

He met Natasha, the love of his life and true partner, in Chicago. They married in 1986 and moved to Los Angeles soon after. As anyone who knows them can testify, it was a very good fit. She has been his loving nurse, nurturer, and stalwart throughout. Our deepest sympathies.

Chip was not a fan of half-measures; he was a true enthusiast and a natural teacher; a funny, compassionate, kind, and gentle man.

He will be truly and deeply missed.

He was a good friend.


A MEMORIAL CELEBRATION OF CHIP HAMMACK'S LIFE:


     When: Sunday, October 25, 4PM to 8PM


Location: The home of Lucy Butler & Greg Gelfan
                  243 S. Rockingham Avenue
                  Los Angeles, CA 90049


                  4pm  Arrivals & refreshments
                  5pm  Memorial
                  6pm - 8pm  Immediately following the memorial, 
                                      you are invited to stay for a bite to eat
                                      and to raise your glass in a toast to Chip.


RSVP: Terry at:  teabows@msn.com



Please feel free to share any memories, comments, or condolences.
They will post at the bottom.
Click on (#) comments, immediately below.

8 comments:

  1. Terry, thanks for this great rememberance. Chip was such a special person - inpsiring and inspired, generous, kind, intelligent and funny - I am glad to have known him, but wish, like everyone else, I had even more time. He will not be forgotten. Love and peace, Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wine community has many supporters. In Los Angeles, I would hazard a guess that most of the die-hards crossed paths with Chip and many, like me, were educated by his passion and touched by his gentle spirit. Chip was my wine guide early in my collecting days and though we saw each other infrequently over the last several years, whenever he did bump into each other, it was like re-connecting with an old friend. He always had something fun on his mind and he always had a great new find to share. I am stunned by this sad news and heartbroken for his family, friends, colleagues and an army of customers whose cellars are well-stocked with great juice because of his thoughtful guidance.

    I will open a very special bottle in Chip's memory this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chip was a lovely, lovely man and was an integral part of our Wine Salon tasting group for several years. I miss that Chicago accent of his and those spot-on wine assessments already. Sending Natasha all our best support in this difficult time -

    Bonnie Graves, Adrian Sexton and Sophie Sexton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earlier on in my winebuying (and drinking) years, I spent many a late afternoon in the back offices of the Wine House debating the merits of whatever "Super?"-Tuscan was being slogged to the general public that week. Chip was always happy to participate in those entertaining conversations had a lot to offer. I was grateful for his generosity of spirit and always happy to drink with him. Though my circumstances required me to move out of the LA area several years ago, I often thought about those great times with Chip and wished for another opportunity to visit with him. Its been a while since we last spoke, but that doesn't diminish the pleasure of those memories. I will be missing Chip for a long, long time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not believe that people simply saunter into your life without a reason and do not think that there could be a better example of a wine professional above Chip. I am truly fortunate to have had such a wonderful wine association with Chip. There are so many praiseworthy things that I could say about his work ethics, his sense of humor, his passion for wine, and his straightforward approach in business. What I remember most about my conversations with Chip was his profound joy and love for his family and friends. I never had the opportunity to meet his wife or daughter but through his eyes and the tone of his words it was transparent that they were the love of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will miss Chip for all the reasons everyone else has said. He was such a good friend and colleague while i was at the Wine House. We have many memories together as when we entered a competion together when he first started with the Wine House to blend a merlot that resembled the wineries very own with many different vineyards and varietals to use to emmulate the that wine. We had so much fun and took to heart the challenge to do it the right way with anylanse and taste. Unlike a another store that actually gave the wineries wine as "their" FINISHED product. Guess what, we won and the winemaker actually said ours was the best and actually probably better than the original. That day i will always remember because of the excitement and heart felt enthusiam that Chip brought to the game. I will miss as much as anyone else and will never forget our friendship. Ciao Chip see you in the after life. sincerely, Daniel Palmer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was raised as a kiddy in Kenya,
    An urchin in khaki and grime,
    Where crawling under the floors of the club
    Seemed to us quite a lark at the time.
    There were cigarette boxes and matches
    Razor wraps by Gillette that were blue,
    Bottle caps of all flavors and spent bullet shells
    Discolored by the damp and the dew.

    Above was the bar of the Club House
    A Kericho town watering hole
    Where away from the heat with the weight off their feet
    Folks would sew back their body and soul.
    Permeating the cracks in the floor boards
    From the bar where the Bwanas stood near,
    Was the tinkle of glass and the roar of a laugh
    And the wonderful smell of warm beer.

    That smell of the brew got my notice
    I wondered just how it would taste,
    And though years in a row would come and would go,
    The memory did not go to waste.
    For many more later in Ojai
    To see Kenyan friends in that vale
    I stopped at a duka to buy me a tupa
    And found Tusker Lager for sale.

    What a fluke to find that very bevy,
    I liked it well from the word go,
    I flipped off the top, took a swig with the froth
    And one whiff made the memories flow
    From then on that beer was a favorite
    Tusker became my new bent,
    And if I had the chance at a party or dance,
    I brought it wherever I went.

    But I found the supply was not constant,
    Sometimes the shippers went dry,
    So I kept my lids peeled as I passed town and field
    For some place that had a supply.
    Well one day I met with Chip Hammack
    A vintner who also sold beer,
    He wasn’t averse to dampen my thirst,
    And that is the reason I’m here.

    Chip was an affable fellow,
    He had oodles of charm and a smile,
    When I asked if he had Tusker Larger
    He just beamed and said “Might take a while!”
    Then what do you know two hours later,
    He called me, his voice like a reed,
    Singing “Doc, your in luck I’ll get Tusker,
    “Now how many cases you need?”

    That was it, Chip and I became buddies,
    He kept me in beer and in wine,
    He’d pick out a mixed case of specials
    So the grog with our grub was sublime.
    But it grieves me to think of him gone now,
    God calls the best folk away young,
    So raise your glass high, wipe the tear from your eye,
    To Chip Hammack whose song has been sung.

    Dr Neil Stewart McLeod -10 .7.2009

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I ran the news on the memorial service on my website, and today received this comment I wanted to share:

    Submitted on 2011/08/22 at 10:12 pm

    Natasha: I just learned of Chips passing and I am so sorry. I only met him that one time at P.O.E.T.S but I know how speical he was. Sure would love to hear from you. Sas “Tootsie” the other night and remembered all the good times we used to have going to a movie and then a smart dinner after. Take care and much love.
    Bob Murdy

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS: